Friday, October 15, 2010

Pre-Loonie - CC 004

CC 004
$1 Banknote
Origin: Canada
Unit: One Dollar
Details: Unicirculated, no longer in production

So I was going to post up some other random coin for today's exhibit, but decided on presenting you with CC 004 instead of CC 002, which means nothing to you but this one is cooler in my own honest opinion. And I promise you something really cool either tomorrow or Sunday.

Today I present you with a Canadian $1 bill. This one belonged to my dad back when he collected coins and it somehow managed to make it into my collection. It's dated 1954 and is in pristine condition, nearly uncirculated. What is so interesting about this specimen is that the Canadian government stopped minting one dollar bills back in 1989, two years after they successfully introduced the $1 coin, known as a loonie (due to the picture of the loon on the front). So I think it's pretty cool that I have one of these now obsolete banknotes in my collection, and in great condition to boot.

I'd take a picture of the reverse for you guys but it doesn't seem like it will come out so great (it will seem more transparent). The reverse, however, features what looks like to be a field with a road going down it and telephone poles as it expands outward into the horizon. Pretty cool actually.

On a side note, it turns out that Canada actually had some $4 banknotes printed back in the late 1800's and some $1000 bills until 2000. It would be pretty awesome to have the four dollar bill in my collection but it looks like it's pretty rare from what I can tell through a couple of quick Google searches. Still, I can dream.

2 comments: