Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Arachno-post - NH 002

NH 002
Marbled Orb Weaver
Category: Arachnids
Family: Araneidae

I am proud to say that the newest addition to the museum is a new collection of vialed insects and arachnids. So to kick off this new section I present this beast of a spider which my friend Kayla and I managed to find and capture her at Cornell University, down by Beebe Lake. Now we weren't too sure about our on-the-spot identification, but I believe that it may be a Marbled Orb Weaver, possibly Araneus marmoreus. They aren't poisonous but the thing is a bit too big for me to feel comfortable around it.

It was hidden under a leaf next to its web, right next to the lake. He was so big that none of my glass vials had a wide enough mouth to accommodate him, or her I guess as I'm no entomologist, so I had to borrow one from Kayla. He is now stored in alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment