Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pocket Pics - HS 006


HS 006
Argus Carefree Pocket Camera
Era: Late 20th Century
Details: 110 film

Another of my old cameras for your enjoyment. This one however was quite difficult to find any supplementary information about. It's an Argus brand 110 Carefree 2 Pocket Camera. If you're unfamiliar with what 110 film looks like check out the link. Since there is hardly an identifying feature on the camera at all, and because there seems to be hardly any information available online I'm assuming that this was made in the late 20th century, probably late 1970's or 1980's. I managed to find this Popular Mechanics issue that shows the rise of cheap 110 film cameras booming during the 1970's which is why I'm inclined to go with this temporary date. 

As you can see from the picture there seems to be a small scratch on the front in the shape of the Greek letter lambda. You may also notice that there is no flash on the camera. This was because the camera was meant to be kept easily in your pocket and flashes would add weight/bulk/price to the camera. The lens on the far left of the picture is the viewfinder and the middle part is the actual lens. Right above this you can see input for a flash. Since I don't have much information on this I'm assuming this is for something like the flipflash, but I'm not positive as it could be some other sort of flash. Anyway, a very affordable and lightweight camera back in the day. 

2 comments:

  1. You say late 20th century like it was many years ago! It was just the other day! Is that my camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well 110 film has rapidly declined in popularity, and a few decades is 'many years!' But I can't tell if it's yours Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete