Monday, February 28, 2011

The Tunes of Music - HS 007

HS 007
Music Tuner
Era: Mid-Late 20th Century
Details: still works great

Two posts in one day? Sounds unheard of, but I felt February needed an extra post to give it an edge over January as we venture into March. Anyway this is a cool musical piece that was given to me by my grandmother. It's an old music tuner. The edge of the piece has a hole where each letter in the scale is where you would blow through it and the pitch would come out. I'm no expert but it looks like it is an F-to-F Chromatic Pitch Pipe. The writing on it says: "INST.-MASTER-KEY-CHROM.PITCH-" on the obverse and the reverse has some more info but it's old and a little rusty (it's silver-colored on the opposite side). What I attempt to make out is "PAT. USA MAY 1925 - MARCH 17 31" along with "MADE IN GERMANY."

I can't really make out who made this or exactly when it was made (sometime after 1925 but I don't think it was quite that early). They do offer a resemblance to this Kratt Master Key Chromatic Pitch Pipe, however I can see some distinct dissimilarities in the writing on the inner circle (although it is tough to make out in their photograph). This piece is a nice addition, and what's more it is still in great working condition. If I can find a microphone sometime I may end up updating this page so you can all hear it, even though it just goes through the sequential notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment