Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lead, Iron, Antimony, Sulfide, Oh My! - GEO 003

GEO 003
Jamesonite
Class: Mineral
Location: England

Wow, it's been nearly two weeks since the last update, so I apologize for falling behind by schedule of at least one per week - it always seems to be too busy around here. Anyway it was suggested that I post up something from the Geological Collection today so I present to you all: Jamesonite. Now what's odd about this particular specimen is that while I have a label claiming it to be said mineral, a little research has made it seem less and less like actual Jamesonite. As you can see from the above photograph my specimen is a fairly heavy chunk of metallic 'rock.' Whereas if you look at this Jamesonite photograph (the fibrous metal looking stuff in the middle), they are pretty different. This is not to say that my specimen is mislabeled at all, as there is always a vast array of differences between specimens, but I still hold some questions in the back of my mind. Also, I'm not judging solely based on that photograph but also from the description on this Jamesonite mineral data page.

Anyway, this specimen comes from the small fishing village of Port Isaac in Cornwall, England. The label also mentions Treore but I'm limited in what I can find on what exactly that means. The mineral species itself contains lead, iron, antimony, sulfur and is a part of the sulfide group of minerals. While rating fairly low on Moh's Scale (~3) it does have a decent specific gravity of around 6. And as mentioned earlier usually the mineral forms fibrous crystals that almost look like hair or it grows similarly to the mineral Stibnite (One of my favorite minerals). So enjoy this unique piece and check out the up-close view posted down.

No comments:

Post a Comment