Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sweet Honey - NH 024

NH 024
Honey Bee
Category: Bees and Kin
Family: Apidae

I again apologize for the lack of updates but it's been busy. Seeing as today is Saturday and I haven't adhered to Spider Saturday in awhile I thought I should dig up a spider, however I'm still a bit wary on the identification of the remaining few specimens and I thus hesitate to post them yet. Hopefully over the summer I will be collecting many more specimens, but since I'm not posting a spider I'm going to just go with something from Natural History.

Now, I'm not positive on the identification of this specimen but judging from information obtained from the InsectIdentification website's page on Honey Bees I'm going to temporarily go with that. Now the picture on the site shows a yellow-colored head, but from the information provided this would be a worker bee with it's nearly all black head. I'm sure it's common knowledge that these guys go around pollinating flowers and have extensive colonies, so I'm not going to go into too much detail on the lives of worker bees.

This guy, which I'm going out on a limb and declaring him Apis mellifera, was collected in Ithaca, New York, USA sometime in early September 2011. I unfortunately am lacking more details on this specimen as the record I keep is incomplete on specimens with ID numbers less than 26. But anyway it's a unique pose he has in the vial, so enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment