Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nightcrawler - NH 009

NH 009
Earthworm
Category: Annelids
Family: Lumbricidae

So nothing too fantastic today, just an ordinary worm that I collected. Now while I'm not an expert on insects by any means, worms (which are Annelids rather than Arthropods) are way out of my scope of identification. This means that you guys will have to go on my best guess for what this is and I'm only going down to the family classification. For now I am calling this guy just a regular North American earthworm, family: Lumbricidae. Any further would require me to do some more extensive research, of which I am too busy to do especially when their are more important specimens that need that kind of attention.

Anyway, this earthworm was found in early September 2010 (probably the 4th to be exact), later in the night. And as it turns out while I call these guys nightcrawlers, there is no specific genera or species that compromises the fisherman's term 'nightcrawler.' Rather the word is loosely used to describe any large worm that would be perfect to place on a hook to be subsequently eaten by a fish. Just a little bit of information you might like to know. Oh, and the alcohol has turned yellow, presumably from 'stuff' leaking out of the worm itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment