Saturday, October 9, 2010

How This Is Going To Work


As I await my photo studio, soon to arrive, to take some professional-looking pictures of the museum collections, I will post the cataloging system I'm going to be using. I am going to break down the entire museum, the Sholesonian if you will, into a couple of 'colleges.' Each specimen is going to be labeled, or be boxed/bagged/bottled with a label, with a 2-3 letter code and a number. The following list explains the colleges I am going to be using.

FOS ### - These will be the fossils that I have acquired over the years.

NH ### - The natural history section, basically if it was alive at one time and isn't a fossil it will be going into this category.

PUB ### - A relatively small collection, certain publications, literature, etc. will be placed into this group.

CC ### - I was really big into numismatics about 5 years ago, and I still go around collecting coins so monetary units will be placed here. Also the few stamps I have.

HS ### - Items of historical and/or cultural significance will be placed here including antiques.

GEO ### - Rocks, minerals, and sands basically.

PC ### - Collection numbers that hold a personal significance. Most of these probably won't end up on here.

G ### - These are reserved for honorary pieces that I do not personally own but wish I could. Will probably be photos I've taken of specimens at real museums. Check the links on the side bar for more information about them.

And I think that just about covers it. And just to hold you over if you are just visiting here is a photograph of a small section, though the most prominent, of the museum. Eventually they will all be cataloged and up for display.

No comments:

Post a Comment